Read more! Jess in Denmark

The life and times of everyone's favorite Jess while she's living it up in Europe.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Adventures!

Thanksgiving was awesome. I was full for about three days, mostly because of Tara, who cooked us a feast. Of course, I brought pie. And brownies.

Haven't been up to too terribly much since then, knocking out papers and soaking up culture. Actually, now that I think about it, I've had some interesting days...

Friday night we went out, bla bla bla, øl øl øl, dance dance dance. But coming home on the nightbus, some people struck up a conversation with a crazy man. Long story short, he follows us off the nightbus all the way to our kollegium and I and the four other people I was with spent half an hour screaming at him to go away, in a variety of languages. (he was Latvian and spoke Danish, not great English) I can't remember another time in my life when I've screamed so loud or had that much adrenaline pumping through me. Later, crazy was lurking in the bushes when my friends came home on a later night bus and he followed them - they had to run in to a block and slam the door in his face. Albertslund's full of charms. Speaking of those charms, someone in another block got stabbed in the head the other day, when he was in his block, in his room. And you thought Columbia was sketchy?

Saturday night I experienced probably the most multinational night of my life - it was a Romanian guy from my block's birthday and around our table at varying points in the night we had: three Romanians, a Russian, a Brit, a Lithuanian, a Yugoslavian/Croatian/Bosnian (he doesn't really identify himself as anything but European), several Polish guys, several Danes and of course, several Americans, all from different states. The conversation was interesting...a mixture of pregnancy talk (two women were pregnant, one had just miscarried), politics and the pros and cons of capitalism.

Sunday, I finally made it out to Louisiana, a modern art museum in Humlebæk. I've been looking forward to going all semester, thanks to a recommendation from the fabulous Owen Riley. :) It was incredible! Tucked in to a forest, overlooking the ocean, the museum features mostly glass walls that let you see the outdoors and not feel all oppressed by a giant building. The sculpture garden overlooking the ocean? Fantastic. My favorites were the minimalist and pop art rooms and an exhibit by a Brit, Keith Tyson, called Large Field Array.
I couldn't even stay at Louisiana as long as I would have liked, because I had to rush back in to København to meet my Danish class for a field trip to Tivoli. For those of you keeping count, that was my fourth Tivoli trip, but my first to Tivoli Jul! And for the record, Jul at Tivoli is the prettiest I've ever seen Tivoli. We ate æbleskiver (literally, apple slices, but they are more like doughnuts) and drank gløgg (glogg?) (glögg?), a hot wine with raisins and almonds. Æbleskiver, delicious (especially with jam), but glogg, not so much. We also watched a light show and explored the elf village (!!). I took some video in the elf village, which eventually I will make in to another Tivoli video (just for you, Abbie), but since I am laptopless, it'll have to wait.

Today, Jacq and I went to the Statens Museums for Kunst (The State's Art Museum), which was enormous, and badly organized. Mixing modern and renaissance? Nej tak - at least not in the same freakin room! Some of the work was impressive, though. I saw some Asger Jorn work at Louisiana and a lot more at SMK - and loved it!

And I have been meaning to do work since I sat down at this computer, but have failed so far! I think I may just jet off to the World Press Photo 06 exhibit and then come back and work.

Vi ses i en måned!

Hej hej,
Jess

1 Comments:

At 6:02 AM, Blogger Abbie said...

by the way, I still haven't seen another exciting video...shape up Jess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home