Read more! Jess in Denmark

The life and times of everyone's favorite Jess while she's living it up in Europe.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Germany!

I had so much fun on our field study to Schleswig this weekend. We went to this region of Northern Germany and Southern Denmark from Thursday-Saturday, learned some stuff during the day and had fun at night!

I took so many pictures, and I have a lot to write about, but for now I'll just throw up a few. It's hard to understand the region without knowing its history, which we got a lot of this weekend, but basically the area has been owned by both Germany (Prussia) and Denmark, and still today Germans live in Denmark and Danes live in Germany, complete with their own newspapers, schools, some shops, etc.


Gorm, aka our Sexy Beast Tour Guide for Flensborg.

A newspaper building in Flensborg. I don't know if you can see it, but the middle fresco (is that the right word?) is a printing press. The others are bugs. According to Gorm, this was a joke from the builder, who said that the fast journalists and hardest working were like bees, while others were lazy and snail like. The ant and random other bug supposedly mean that, like bugs, journalists are everywhere, finding out what's going on. I don't know if I buy it.

With my toes in the water of a strait that goes by Fyn (it was cold!).

Just for kicks, a pic of the bathroom sign used at the Duborg Skolen in Flensburg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home