Read more! Jess in Denmark

The life and times of everyone's favorite Jess while she's living it up in Europe.

Friday, September 08, 2006

My First Castle

After careful evaluation and research consisting of one visit to one test subject, I have come to the conclusion that royal castles (and likely all the other ones, too) are Badass and can be described in no other way.

Seriously. I went to Rosenborg the other day after sort of randomly happening upon it (my CAC class participated in a focus group for a company researching American perceptions of Denmark). It's amazing. The grounds are gorgeous (didn't get many pictures of them because it was raining), the castle itself is impressive, though small for a castle, and everything in it was so intricate and fabulous and royal-looking.

Though we had to guess what most of the things were, since a guidebook was 25 kroner and we're cheap, everything was just stunning. Also, I had to pay 20 kroner just to take pictures, on top of the price of admission (40 kroner for students), but it was so completely worth it.
The classic tourist shot. This is me, Kimberly and Lauren. And yeah, I looked pretty bad that day.

I tried setting up a new thing so that I could "jump" posts and have you just click something to read more, but I guess I didn't understand it, so sorry for the long post and excessive scrolling. But it is really pretty!


An amazing piece of furniture not adequately captured by my lens. Each panel is a scene from the Bible. And the thing is enormous - like 8 feet tall.


Frederik III's Marble Room


The Royal Toilet .
(I think it's really weird there was only one bathroom in the entire castle, unless there were more they didn't show us)

A chandelier made out of amber, the national stone.
Some truly incredible decorative pieces of amber work were on display in the basement treasury.


Royal Pajamas

Wine casks used to make the Rosenborg Wine

A calendar from who knows how long ago


I think I would be too scared to even consider writing a letter at this desk, found in Christian IV's "writing closet." This room is almost intact since his time. He built the castle from 1606-1634.

See? Thrones guarded by lions. I told you it was Badass.


Yes, folks, The Crown Jewels. My pictures don't do them justice.

That giant blue stone you see on the larger crown protrudes nearly an inch from the crown, as do the other jewels on it.
I don't know what I would have to do to borrow this and its corresponding necklace, but it would probably be worth it.



Some stuff for the king. The detail on that scepter is beyond words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home