Read more! Jess in Denmark

The life and times of everyone's favorite Jess while she's living it up in Europe.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

I have arrived!

I'm here!




Can you say sleep-deprived?
After several relatively uneventful flights and a strong bout of anxiety, I'm in Copenhagen, moved into my kollegium (cole-eeg-ee-um) and all is swell.

It's 9:30 here, six hours ahead of the East Coasters and seven ahead of my Texas pals. It's been an interesting couple of days' travel...I don't know how long it's actually been, but it feels like a long time. There's so much to take in and so much to learn and get accustomed to.

My room is awesome. It's just me, I have my own bathroom, it's bigger than my apartment in Woodrow (well, the bedroom anyway), I have more closet space than I did in Woodrow, everything is just really pretty cool. It was chilly and rainy tonight for our group dinner at Cafe Felix, where my whole table ordered pizza from the limited English menu they prepared for us (since DIS paid) and paid 35 kroner for a large Carlsburg, which I think was around 16 ounces. It was less than a pint and more than a 12-ounce serving, as you can see from the picture below. A whiskey and coke cost 55 kroner!! My first and last, for sure. But it did come with a festive firework-looking decoration.

My first Danish meal


My kollegium is in Albertslund, a suburb of Copenhagen, about 25 minutes away by train. It's not at all what I expected. It's sort of like a village, to me. There are maybe 10 or 15 "blocks" which have maybe like 20-30 rooms each, maybe more. Each room is a single, with its own bathroom, and there are communal kitchens and living areas. 48 DIS students are scattered through it, I believe.

Tomorrow and the next couple days are more orientation, and classes start Friday! We get our books Tuesday, and I already have lots of assigned reading to do!

I know, I know, I'm abusing the exclamation point. But to sum up, nothing's rotten here -yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home