Read more! Jess in Denmark

The life and times of everyone's favorite Jess while she's living it up in Europe.

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Home

I'm home again, back in Texas after a long journey that could have been much longer.

The travel saga: Get to airport in Copenhagen on the 21st after wrestling with suitcases on trains, wait in long line, find out our flight has been delayed 7 hours. Upside of this? 150 kroner in vouchers for food and I wasn't alone, otherwise I would have been out-of-my-mind bored. Downside? Well, ain't that obvious? Besides being stuck in an airport for that long, it meant I missed my flight back to DFW.

After landing in Chicago at 1 a.m. CST, we went through Customs and proceeded to wait in line, all 300 or so of us, with one, then two people working the counter trying to rebook flights. While I was in Copenhagen, SAS told me they wouldn't be able to rebook my flight to Dallas because it was a separate ticket, so the parents booked me a $750 first class ticket for Friday evening, but I tried to save them some money so I waited in line until 4 a.m., when the SAS people told me they would give me a comped flight on Christmas Eve, and I could be on standby every day until then, and they would give me a free hotel room for those nights at the Wyndham, with $30 a day for food. As tempting as that sounded, plus I would have gotten to run around Chicago, I really just wanted to get home, plus my sister left today (christmas eve) to go back to Georgia, so I wouldn't have seen her.

So, it's 4 a.m., I'm in Chicago, and the next flight to Dallas that I could get on standby is at 6 a.m., meaning if I went to the hotel at all, even if it was just to shower, I'd miss a bunch of flight chances, so I proceeded immediately to the domestic terminal and waited in line, at the same time getting to see the horrible awful sides of Americans that I hadn't missed (stressed, fat, fat, obese and fat, ugly, complaining, impatient and rude). Talk about culture shock. Long story short, I got myself a seat on a 9:00 flight to Cincinnatti, then from there to Dallas and I got in around 3 or so. Stopped at Whata-B on the way home. And it was delicious.

The new house has been fun to explore, it was great to see Cristen (she got me a Magic Bullet for Christmas! [And so did Joey!!!!]), and I'm relearning how to ride a bicycle. Yes, relearning, because it was hard the first time and it's still hard.

Have a Merry Christmas, y'all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home